Thursday, September 2, 2010

Make way, One PROUD mommy coming through!

  This evening was Open House at the boys' school. In past years (4 now) I have attended every school function, play, open house, ect. Of course I want to be involved in all aspects of my childrens' lives for as long as they will let me. I take their education and schooling extremely seriously. I not only want to see them excel but to enjoy it.

Nathan: Since his 1st grade year (he is in 3rd now) he has struggled. Not acedemically but, socialy. He had, for 2 years, been bullied. He had rocks thrown at him, dirt dumped in his hair, been publicly humiliated, and just flat out hated school. It was followed with Teachers who could care less and one even repremanded him for telling on other kids. Needless to say, that teacher (as well as the principal) got an earful from me. I understand about constant tattling. I hear it on a daily basis; he hit me, he is breathing on me, he is thinking about living today. But, these kids were treating my child like crap and he tried to do what I instilled in him. If someone is hurting you, tell an adult. Anyway, we entered 3rd grade. He was still in the mindset of last year. The first few days, he was already getting notes home. Then, something happened. His teacher, even though this is her 1st year, brought the true Nathan out. She has, in a week's time, reformed my child. He is good everyday. He helps out the teacher and other kids. He is chosen to do tasks and is finally enjoying school. He was tested and discovered to be extremely smart and test WAY higher than the other children in his class. Therefore, he was acting out bc he was bored. She is amazing and I wish she would follow him through the rest of his school days. She planned extra things for him, harder work, and more leadership type responsibilities. All of his other teachers, art PE and music, have all said the same thing. They asked me what I did and I told him it was his fantastic teacher. Wow, we really lucked out. I am so proud of my baby boy. I couldn't help but stop in the hallway and hold him while I shed a few tears. He got embarrassed but I didn't care. I am beaming with pride and happiness. He is trying so hard and doing such a wonderful job.


                                                          

Tanner: My sweet little Tanner. He had some issues as a younger boy. He required special attention. He was abused in a daycare for quite some time. I never knew and for that, I carry So much guilt around with me. I look back and see the little things that, at the time, couldn't piece together. Since then, we have been to therapy. He needed special care at daycares and when nobody could give him the things he needed, I quit my job and pulled him out all together. We spent priceless days together when his baby sister was only months old. I hold those days close to my heart. He started school and after meeting with some teachers, we chose one who had experience in some of his problem areas. Ever since, he seems to do better and better. His teacher had great things to say about him and he proudly showed me his desk, artwork, and writing journal.  He has come so far. He has exceeded all of my expectations and has continuously surprised me with his abilities and achievements.

                                                         

I have to say, there are so many times when I am overwhelmed and irritated with the little things they do. As boys, they love the dirt and messes which I, having OCD, get so angry over. I can't possibly imagine my life without these 2. They are my world and each one of them has a piece of my heart. I am so lucky and blessed to have such an amazing family.

No comments:

Post a Comment